Disaster in Glasgow

May 23 2014

Image of Disaster in Glasgow

Picture: Apollo/@xdxxnx on Twitter

The Charles Rennie Mackintosh building at the Glasgow School of art is on fire, after a projector exploded in the basement. Awful, awful, awful. Latest here.

Update: The Scotsman, which has the photo below of the fire-ravaged interior, reports that the rebuilding will cost up to £20m. Much of the building and contents were saved, but the famous library has been destroyed. There's not much more on the cause, but it's said that the exploding projector set fire to some nearby foam. Final year art students were installing their art projects at the time, and if I had to guess what happened, it's that someone was using one of those old-fashioned projectors that are de rigeur for contemporary installations. 

Update II - further photos from inside here.

Notice to "Internet Explorer" Users

You are seeing this notice because you are using Internet Explorer 6.0 (or older version). IE6 is now a deprecated browser which this website no longer supports. To view the Art History News website, you can easily do so by downloading one of the following, freely available browsers:

Once you have upgraded your browser, you can return to this page using the new application, whereupon this notice will have been replaced by the full website and its content.